INVEST IN YOUR fUTURE
Explore the possibilities
We value our people ...
At McCay Duff, we value your personal time and promote work/life balance. We also believe in developing our people so they can thrive in a culture of strong collaboration and a challenging rewarding work with the potential of upward mobility and compensation. We are committed to creating a diverse environment where community involvement and social events are encouraged.
At McCay Duff, we are all about work/life balance. We help you achieve this through perks like Friday office closures in July and August, office closures from Christmas Eve to New Year’s Day, and flexible work hours.
We really value our personal time, just as much as our exciting and challenging work. We work hard, and play hard too. That’s balance to us.
Values and Culture
We are committed to your professional development ...
The culture at McCay Duff is one of strong collaboration. Our teamwork vibe is experienced by all levels through our open door policy—you can stop by a Partner or Senior Manager office anytime to ask questions, gain from their expertise and experience, and receive feedback. They are always accessible and committed to your professional development. You can (and should!) also connect with your peers alongside you. From potluck lunches to technical questions, we are here with you—every step of the way.
We value your differences ...
Our McCay Duff team has many different members, and we value their differences. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, or disability. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and McCay Duff’s Policies on Accommodation, McCay Duff provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process.
You matter to us
We offer a competitive salary, health and dental benefits, paid overtime, and provide annual merit-based increases that reflect your value and contribution to our Firm.
You matter to us. So does your compensation.
Challenging & rewarding work
New clients bring variety!
A typical day could involve a number of challenging ...
engagements, such as audits, personal tax returns, notice to reader engagements, and even Firm organized social activities. But don’t take our word for it — check out this snapshot of a day-in-the-life of one of our Senior Staff Accountants:
- On this day, I arrived at work at 8:30 a.m.. However, if you are an early bird, you have the option of coming to work at 7 a.m. or even as late as 9:30 a.m. given that McCay Duff allows for flexible work hours.
- I head to my desk to wrap up the audit I was working on the day before. I enjoy the mix of working in and out of the office as this provides excellent variation in the day-to-day work life. As 11 a.m. approaches, I have largely finished wrapping up my audit but I have a few questions left in order to be able to finalize the engagement. The only person who can answer these questions though, is the Engagement Partner. I proceed to schedule a meeting with him before lunch hour and through this face-to-face interaction, we are able to complete the engagement.
- A group of the younger staff have decided to head out to lunch together on Elgin Street this time, despite there being a ton of options surrounding the office given our location downtown at Elgin and Laurier.
- When we get back to the office, I take a tax return off the personal tax shelf which is utilized in March and April. This is my 32nd return this year. I know this due to tracking how many returns I complete so that I can hopefully win the Golden Calculator. The Golden Calculator is given out every year to the individual who prepares the most AND highest quality tax returns during tax season.
- 3 p.m. rolls around and an announcement is made throughout the office. It is the day of the month where we are celebrating birthdays!
- In the last hour of my day, I get assigned a notice to reader engagement which will likely take me a day to complete. I plan on knocking this off tomorrow before the Pub and Pool night at MacLaren’s hosted by the McCay Duff Social Committee.
- It’s time to head home on the bus…God I can’t wait for LRT!
- Curtis Milobar, Senior Staff Accountant
Promotions and growth
You can create your own career path ...
We value promotion from within our McCay Duff family, and those promotions are based on your performance. You move up based on your skills and expertise. You can create your own career path here—one that is tailored to you and your vision and personal work ethic.
Learning and Growing
At McCay Duff we are constantly learning and growing, and that includes a commitment to training and development for our staff. We offer internal professional development courses throughout the year.
Customized to meet your needs.
When starting with us as an inexperienced hire ...
We also offer a comprehensive five-day training week complete with mock files, to ensure you get a solid foundation upon which to grow with us.
Development and training include:
- Annual audit
- Tax update
- Condo file training
- Supervisory training
- CPA-provided sessions
- Lunch-and-learn sessions
It’s important to us to get involved in our community. Members of McCay Duff donate their time to a variety of professional associations, not-for-profit, and charitable organizations.
Support your Community
Work. Family. Community.
Our Firm’s philosophy and culture encourages ...
A balance between work, family and community. Community involvement is a key component of a balanced lifestyle.
Ways we help the community includes:
- Dementia Society of Ottawa and Renfrew County
- Patrick’s Home of Ottawa
- Ottawa Hospital Foundation
- Canadian Condominium Institute- Ottawa Chapter
- Bethel Care Centre
- Barrhaven Public School
- Children’s Aid Society of Ottawa
- Unity Non-Profit Housing Corporation Ottawa
- Freedom Dog Rescue
Refer to our community involvement page for the full list.
Krista MacDonald, CHRP, PCP
Krista joined McCay Duff LLP in January 2013 and has over 6 years of experience working as a human resources generalist providing human resources support to all levels of McCay Duff staff - for the most part as a Human Resources department of one.
As a Human Resources Advisor, Krista is responsible for the operational management of Human Resources at the Firm. She implements HR practices in the following areas: recruiting, policy design, staffing, employee relations, performance management, compensation and benefits, health and safety, and human resource information systems.
Krista completed a Bachelor Arts Degree in Sociology and Social Anthropology from Dalhousie University in 2006, then moving on to complete a Certificate in Human Resource Management from Eastern College in 2012, along with her Payroll Compliance Practitioner certificate (PCP) in the same year. Following this, she obtained her Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP) designation in 2014. She is a member of the Human Resource Professionals Association (HRPA) and the Canadian Payroll Association (CPA.)
When not in the office, Krista enjoys cooking, exercising, being outdoors, and having fun with her husband and two children.
McCay Duff genuinely cares about your goals and success
Providing excellent opportunities and an incredible environment to grow professionally and personally.