CO-OP STAFF ACCOUNTANT
Full Time Contract Opportunity
2022 Winter Term (January – April)
At McCay Duff LLP you can have a rewarding and exciting career. We understand that a career in accounting is about far more than numbers; it is about dreams and achieving long term personal success. In addition to challenging and meaningful work with clients, you will have the chance to grow at your own pace and customize your career path. We will also give you the right tools, training and exposure to learn new skills and explore new opportunities in different service areas and industries.
We take care of our people and understand that our staff are our greatest assets. Offering competitive salaries and a team environment where our managers and partners are always accessible and committed to your professional development.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A REWARDING CO-OP OPPORTUNITY, WE WOULD LOVE TO MEET YOU!
The co-op student commencing their work term with the firm will receive training to assist them in the growth and development of their accounting skills. Opportunities will be provided to work on working paper files and corresponding financial statements for a breadth of small and medium sized clients, as well as exposure to the preparation of corporate and personal income tax returns.
McCay Duff offers students the opportunity to gain relevant experience in all major competencies related to the CPA designation process. Training and development opportunities at McCay Duff also include staff training, mentoring and coaching among others as students’ progress.
The training will include instruction on the use of CaseWare (software specialized for the preparation and documentation of working paper files) and TaxPrep (tax return preparation software). Training will also be provided on other software used in the firm.
The student will be exposed to compilation engagements and may assist senior staff on assurance engagements and will also have the opportunity to work independently on accounting and tax files. Depending on the size and nature of the engagement, the student will report to a senior staff member or manager and in some instances the partner in charge. The level of complexity of assignments will depend on the student’s abilities.
- Perform technical work remotely, in the office or in the field on assigned engagements under supervision (observing all COVID Safety protocols);
- Provide support on sections of assurance engagements;
- Assume responsibility for the completion and accuracy of own work and working papers;
- Prepare personal income tax returns;
- Become familiar with support systems including tax, computer systems, firm policies and standards;
- Gain experience in public accounting and progress towards starting the CPA designation process;
- Develop personal skills to effectively communicate with diverse group of peers, supervisors and clients.
- Strong communication skills, as there will be interaction with partners, staff and clients;
- Understanding of the Accounting Cycle and basic accounting principles;
- Passion and enthusiasm to work in public accounting;
- Ability to meet individual goals and objectives for career development;
- Bilingual in English and French is considered an asset.
If you are interested in a rewarding co-op opportunity with our firm, please apply via the Ottawa University recruitment portals or by e- mail with subject-heading “Co-op Winter Term – Staff Accountant” to firstname.lastname@example.org and address your application to Ms. Krista Mason, Human Resources Generalist. A cover letter may be provided should you wish to do so, or you may do so in your accompanying email.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
McCay Duff LLP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your application.
McCay Duff LLP is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, or disability.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and McCay Duff’s Policies on Accommodation, McCay Duff provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process.