With tax season quickly approaching, our midsize public accounting firm is seeking some additional tax help to bolster our roster for this upcoming tax season.
We have openings starting in March for a two-month contract for a part-time remote or hybrid Tax Preparer. Training will be held in February. Candidates will be required to be available to work most days throughout the work week with a minimum of 3 – 4 hours daily depending on the agreed-upon work schedule.
This position does not require previous experience preparing tax returns or any in-depth Canadian tax law, compliance, or planning knowledge. Previous experience with tax return preparation or working in an accounting or other professional services environment will be considered an asset.
Your work will be reviewed by our seasoned tax professionals so there will always be someone that will be checking your preparation and will be able to provide you with feedback on your work to be applied to your next engagement.
We are seeking candidates who can assist with the following tasks:
- Gathering the necessary client tax documents and organizing them according to a set of instructions
- Preparation of relatively simple personal tax returns with progression to more complex returns as skills are developed
- Tracking and following up with clients on information requests and deadlines
- Maintaining professionalism and confidentiality
- Willingness to work diligently during the peak personal tax season (the entire month of March and April)
The successful candidate will exhibit the following qualities, knowledge, and abilities:
- No experience as a Tax Preparer is required, we will teach you everything you need to know
- Proficiency with and experience using Microsoft Office suite of products
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong attention to detail to ensure accuracy and avoid errors
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid time management skills, with the ability to recognize when to seek assistance
- Self-motivation and collaboration within a team environment
- Commitment to professional client service
- A college or university degree related to Accounting/Business is considered an asset
- Previous experience with tax return preparation, tax software or working in an accounting or other professional services environment will be considered an asset.
- Work from home remotely or have the flexibility to work from the office
- Flexible work hours, allowing you to set your own schedule
- Collaborative and supportive team
- Access to experienced team members
- Mentorship and guidance
- Experience with a diverse range of clients and tax returns
Job Type & Required Commitment:
- Part-time, seasonal contract
- 20 – 30+ hours per week
- Availability required Monday to Friday
- Willingness and ability to work weekends during March and April is considered an asset
- Ideal candidate for this position will be seeking to return for tax season annually
If you are interested in an energizing busy season opportunity with our firm, please apply by e-mail at and address your application to Krista Mason.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
McCay Duff LLP
McCay Duff LLP is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, or disability.
McCay Duff LLP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your application.
By the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and McCay Duff LLP’s Policies on Accommodation, McCay Duff LLP provides reasonable accommodation so qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process.